Monday, March 31, 2008

A book I would love to finish...

Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment

This is a book that I started a long time ago and cannot seem to get through it. It is not a thick book but it does have very tiny print. This book has been a much needed help and encouragement in times where I have found myself not as content as I should have been. I have Christ what more should I desire. Here are some quotes from this book by Jeremiah Burroughs. If you have not read this and are looking for some good reading here you go!

"Christian contentment is that sweet, inward, quiet, gracious frame of spirit, which freely submits to and delights in God's wise and fatherly disposal in every condition."

"This is the hand of God, and is what is suitable to my condition or best for me. Although I do not see the reason for the thing, yet I am satisfied in my judgement about it."

"Yea, the more any gracious heart can bring itself to be in a contented disposition, the more fit it is for any service of God."

Here is some scripture.

Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. Philippians 4:11


"I remember it is reported of the eagle that it is not like other fowls: when other fowls are hungry they make a noise; but the eagle is never heard to make a noise though it lacks food. Now it is from the magnitude of its spirit that it will not make such complaints as other fowls do when they lack food, because it is above hunger, and above thirst. Similarly it is an argument of a gracious magnitude of spirit , that whatever befalls it, yet it is not always whining and complaining as others do, but it goes on in its way and course, and blesses God, and keeps in a constant tenor whatever befalls it. Such things as cause others to be dejected and fretted and vexed, and take away all the comfort of their lives make no alteration at all in the spirits of these men and women. This, I say, is a sign of strength and grace."

"...your murmurings are not against us, but against the LORD."
Exodus 16:8

I speak to myself for I am very much guilty.
The Lord is good.

No comments: