Saturday, September 21, 2013

What shall I do then with Jesus?


I am really enjoying our homeschool curriculum this year. For part of our schooling we are reading through the book Hero Tales ( A Family Treasury of True Stories From the Lives of Christian Heroes). Thursday and Friday we read about Dwight L. Moody. During one of his sermons he said to a group of people... " Ask yourself, 'What shall I do with Jesus?'" He later told the people who did not seem to be listening..."Go back home and think about that question this week, then come back Sunday and tell me what you are going to do with Jesus."

The year was 1871, the time of the Great Chicago Fire. The fire finally burned itself out. Three hundred people had died and seventeen thousand buildings had been destroyed and ninety thousand people were homeless. At the end of that week Moody was troubled in that he had made a big mistake in his sermon from earlier in the week. Moody says... "I gave the people a week to think about what they were going to do with Jesus."
"But they didn't have a week. Never again will I miss a chance to ask people. 'What are you going to do with Jesus Today?'"

If you do not know the Lord as your Savior, the bible says in 2 Corinthians 6:2 "For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation."

For those who do know the Lord as your Savior, what are you doing today with Jesus?

"Pilate saith unto them, What shall I do then with Jesus which is called Christ? They all say unto him, Let him be crucified."

I certainly want to proclaim the name of Jesus. This small story was such an encouragement to me. I hope it can be of some encouragement to you as well.


No comments: